Thursday, May 3, 2007

I would prefer not to


Hello!

We're getting a very good response to the video and I want to thank you all for your kind words of support. You've been a comfort to me.

As you saw in the footage, I had reason to be worried on the day of the Healthy Kids Plan Vote. It is wildly popular with the majority of Oregon voters (who are apparently soft-headed reactionaries who care more about health care for children than the tobacco tax's impact on me.) On Vote Day, there were hundreds of people at the capitol that day who had traveled from across the state to Salem. They were ready to cheer if the Healthy Kids Plan passed. It was a PR disaster just waiting to happen.

And once lawmakers start listening to their own conscience or to their constituents, I've lost them.

Thank goodness for my friends in the House Republicans and their work slowdown program! Rep. John Lim's "Bartleby" stunt was a huge success – he got all the attention that day while the folks who had traveled for hours to talk to their lawmakers and watch the vote faded into the background.

And as a side note, I was happy to see Rep. Tom Butler finally getting some use out of that Tempur-pedic pillow I gave him for Christmas. Some people were shocked that he could actually fall sleep curled up on the floor of the Oregon House of Representatives while voters were watching from the gallery, but I wasn't. As I told Tom over eggnog and Malboros, you can sleep ANYWHERE on that pillow.

I was just happy to help.

No comments: